Friday, July 10, 2009

Hooves, Hay, and Markets

It was really cool because the other day we went to our friends house so this professional hoof trimmer could trim our cows hooves. They have to be trimmed so the cows walk better and look better.

 I also found out the other day that one of the embryos my uncle implanted into one of his heifers is  a heifer! She will be born in March so I will have a new calf to show next summer. We use embryo transfer a lot because it is a good way for us to get a lot of calves from one animal. We flushed my cow Classic last fall and she gave a total of 29 eggs from two flushes! This is the first embryo that stuck and will be heifer from 8 that we have put in other heifers.

Last night we raked and bailed our field of hay and had to lay it out  so it could dry. Also yesterday Anna and I went to a friends house because my mom had a meeting in Kalamazoo and dad was at work. Then last night I also went to the "Dansville Farmers' Market" and I helped work the bake sale to raise money for the Dansville Christian Youth Center. The night before we picked over 60 pounds of tart cherries to sell at the market! 

We will be busy over the weekend washing and leading all the heifers -- the show is getting close so there is a lot to do but tonight we are going to see the new Ice Age movie!

--Eric

No comments:

Post a Comment